Sunday, January 22, 2012

Icebox

Winter is that time of year where you're always shivering and can see your breath as you exhale. Usually that only happens when your outside, but it's happening inside as I type on my iPad. Let's back up for a second. I got a voicemail at work on Friday afternoon. The managing agent of my apartment building was calling to let me know that there was a catastrophic failure of the boiler. It was the scariest voicemail ever! He stumbled and paused after the word catastrophic. I was thinking a catastrophic what? Fire? Earthquake? What? I relieved that he only said we were without heat and hot water. Well...I was relieved until I realized how much it was gonna suck.

I got home after work to find my apartment looked exactly he way it did when I left in the morning. The only difference was that it was freezing! I tried to figure out a way to shave, but gave up when I realized how hard it'd be without heat or hot water. I spent Friday and Saturday night at Antonio's apartment, but I had things I needed to do today (aka go to the gym). They were able to get the hot water working, but I'm still without heat.

It's like being outside. Im watching tv and can see my breath. I always l Ike to wear loose clothes, but not tonight. Usually I lounge around in shorts and a tank top. Now I'm wearing long johns, two pairs of socks and a fleece. Thank god my mom knows how to crochet because either blanket she made me is probably the only thing keeping hypothermia at bay.

I have to admit that I'm also pretty mad with the management company. They appreciate our patience and apologize for the inconvenience. Hmmm. Not having heat in early October or late March is an inconvenience. Not having heat in NYC in January with snow othe ground can be deadly. I hope the elderly people and peopled with children are managing through this.

As inconvenient and uncomfortable as I am, I have to admit that it does make me more appreciative. There are so many homeless people in NYC. I walk down the street and see them sleeping blahkets. As cold as I am now, it's nothing compared to sleeping outside. I also used to think that my apartment was always cold, but now I realize how lucky I really I am.

They say that they should have a brand new boiler installed by the end of the day on Tuesday. I can't wait until this whole icebox ordeal is over.

Posted from my iPad 2

2 comments:

  1. Awwww sorry that this happened Rob. I agree that it's easy to forget that we are really blessed in this country with all the human comforts we have on a daily basis. I hope.you are nice and toasty warm by now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww! Thanks! I'm just seeing your message now. But yes, I am warm and toasty!

      Delete