Wednesday, August 29, 2012

MDNA Mathematics

Math has never been my strongest skill. Simple subtraction can still be a task where I need a pencil and paper. Trying my hand in the potentially lucrative market of black market Madonna tickets was intimidating. Making money was never really my motivation. My ultimate goal has always been to get the best seat possible.

Tickets for Madonna's MDNA Tour went on sale six months ago. At that time the tour was just an event on the very distant horizon. I used my fan club membership to purchase advance tickets. It turns out that there were multiple levels of fan adoration. My level allowed me one hour after the oldest and most dedicated fans. Damn! I knew that in those sixty minutes all the good seats would be sold. I'd be left in the nose bleed seats or floor seats in section B, both of which are horrible in my opinion when it comes to the Queen. As the clock ticked down, I readied myself by loading all the necessary windows and printing out the stadium seating chart. I was ready! The first tickets I bought were in section B6, row 16, seats 8-9. Conflicting emotions! Hmm...decent floor seats, but still pretty far from the stage.

That's when my mathematically challenged mind went to work. I could buy four tickets total with my code. Why not buy two more and then re-sell them? I could use that money to lessen the burden on my credit card. I guess money partially motivated me. Of course, there was also a chance that I'd get better seats on my second chance. The second round got me section B7, row 16, seats 20-21. Eek! That's even farther from the stage, but I knew the tickets would sell out and then the demand would go through the roof.

In the meantime, my boss told me about a Yankee season ticket holder pre-sale. Intriguing! She let me use the code to purchase 2 VIP tickets in section A7, row 2, seats 1-2. Wow!! Now that's close!! Closer than I've ever been to any of my gay icon concerts (Madonna, Britney, Kylie). Perfect! I had the seats of my dreams. I put my original four tickets on Stubhub and listed them on our e-bulletin board at work. Eventually, they sold to one of our agents. He bought two and a friend of his bought the other two. Boom! profit.

The original plan was for Antonio to buy the other ticket and go to the show with me. Well, that obviously didn't work out so I was left with a $600 ticket and no one to take it. After months of having the single ticket listed for $2000 and then reduced to $1000, I still didn't have any takers. As my credit card bill crept higher and higher, I realized that I might need to make a tough decision. I needed to sell both of them! Of course, I'd be a single ticket, but I'd get some money back. I also noticed that section A7 (my VIP seat) was close to the front, but it was also on the side. I didn't know if most of the action would take place at the end of the triangular runway and I'd end up seeing Madge's back for most of the show.

After a lot of emails to our bulletin board and reducing the price of the tickets on StubHub to $1000 each, I finally sold them. 8 days from the show and they were gone! I now how a lot of money, but no seat at the show. Time to scramble! I used StubHub to buy a single ticket in section A6, row 15, seat 19 for $770. I'm actually really happy with this seat because it's very close to the end of the runway and it's closer to the center of the stage. This seat may actually be better than my VIP seat! It turns out that this seat is also VIP and also includes the all-you-can-eat dinner.

So now I am all set! I've got just over a week to wait now...

But let's do the math:

I bought:
4 tickets at $375 = $1500
2 tickets at $600 = $1200
Grand Total = $2700

I sold:
2 tickets at $500 each = $1000
2 tickets at $400 each = $800
2 tickets at $1000 each = $1700 (minus $300 commission to StubHub)
Grand Total = $3500

I made a grand total of $800 profit! I used that money to buy my single ticket for $770. So after everything, I'm going to the show for FREE and I walk away with $31 cash.


No comments:

Post a Comment