Monday, September 12, 2011

Bitch Face

Two agents stopped by our pod on Friday. Both were the stereotypical, mean gay guys. They were essentially older versions of Regina George - pretty, catty and deceptive. They were nice, albeit fake, and made small talk when they found out the person they wanted to see was out of the office. But once they left, someone instant messaged me and said, "Please don't be like that when you grow up." That got me thinking.

I felt somewhat intimidated by him. He seemed like a total catty bitch. While it's not a great technique for making friends, it does seem to be a deterrent to becoming a victim of bullying or a doormat. Is he really mean or is it a defense mechanism?

I often think that I'm too nice and that I let people take advantage of me. Would it be better to be meaner? Sometimes I think that I'd be better off if I used my bitch face more often. Here's a perfect example of when it worked. Antonio and I went to see Contagion this past weekend. The theater was packed! We got good seats but then four whores walked in and decided to next to us in the aisle. They reminded me a lot of Sammy from Jersey Shore (short skirts and ditsy aka whores). They were talked like Valley Girls, which I could ignore during the previews. But then it continued as the movie started and people started dying. It was getting annoying. I'd glance over at them and roll my eyes, but they were really getting the message. Eventually, I couldn't take it anymore and I leaned over and sternly said, "Would you guys shut up!” They apologized and piped down for the rest of the movie. It felt great! Being shy and quiet and polite just wouldn't have had the same effect.

Is there a happy middle? It's there a way to be nice and a bitch so that no one messes with you? If you have to choose, which is better?

No comments:

Post a Comment