Thursday, February 23, 2012

ABC Kitchen

Being a foodie is a privilege. Trying new restaurants and different cuisines can be lots of fun, but it can also be insanely expensive. It doesn't help that being from a small town, I'm usually satisfied with a sandwich from Subway. I do, however, have enjoy eating at nice restaurants and trying new foods.

I was lucky enough to be part of an amazing team to help organize our annual sales meeting at work. We all worked so well together and put together an amazing presentation. Afterwards, we needed to debrief and discuss what we should change for next year. It's best to have these meetings over lunch, so we picked ABC Kitchen. It's a very earthy, natural restaurant on 18th near Broadway. It was voted one of the 2011 James Beard Award Winner for Best New Restaurant. Obviously, I had high hopes.



We ordered crab toast with lemon aioli and pretzel dusted calamari as appetizers. OMG. It was heaven. I could have just had our serve keeping bringing serving after serving of these two. Now it's very rare that I get to try a new, hip restaurant and not have to worry about the prices on the menu. I took advantage and ordered something I'd never tried before - lobster. Hmm...it was interesting. It tasted good, spicy. But I didn't really know how to eat it and it wasn't very filling.

I was ready to wipe my hands and head back to the office. Just then the server brings over the dessert menu. Now, I'm trying very hard to eat healthy (borderline eating disorder), but how can I pass up dessert in such a great restaurant? Impossible. Everyone else ordered the sundae - salted caramel ice cream, candied peanuts & popcorn, whipped cream, chocolate. It was AMAZING! It had a perfect blend of salty and sweet flavors combined with smooth ice cream and crunchy peanuts and caramel popcorn. It's quite possibly the best dessert I've ever had.



It was a great experience. I would definitely go back to ABC Kitchen again. The food was amazing, but getting to celebrate and have a discussion with such an amazing team was even better. It's a great feeling to be a valued member of the group. I love that everyone worked together on their individual assignments to produce an event that many agree was one of our best sales meetings ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment