Sunday, April 22, 2012

My Week at Equinox

I know that I'm always searching for something; the next big thing. It's just my personality, so I was really excited when my friend, Martha, got me a 7-day trial membership at Equinox. Equinox is, by far, the nicest gym in city. It's a completely full-service gym / spa. The club at Rockefeller Center actually gives you gym clothes to train in and they have digital lockers. You could literally walk in off the gym with nothing, workout, shower, shave, brush your teeth and then walk out. The gym I did most of my training was the club on 63rd and Lex. Since I can lift weights anywhere, I decided to only take their classes.

Last Friday, we ran from the office to the club on 63rd and Lex to take two classes. We did Bottoms Up and Cardio Sculpt. Each were really intense. After Bottoms Up, I felt nauseous and / or like I was about to pass out. But I didn't want to look weak so I pushed through it. After the end of Cardio Sculpt, I was ready to get the hell out of there. But then Martha asked me if I wanted to stay for Zumba. Hmm...I'd heard that it was the latest fitness trend. It's like aerobic moves set to music? Right before it starts, Martha turns to me and asks, "do you know how to dance?" Cue the music! It fell like I walked into a JLo video. I was completely out of my element. The sexy, Latin teacher was super hot and he could dance! It was lots of dirty dancing. I usually need two-three drinks to start dancing like this. I'm sure it's great, but just not for me.

On Sunday I did MetCon3. It sounded like a video game or some intense military program. Hot, sweaty soldiers? Yum! Yes please. It was a great class. There were more guys, compared to the very lady-centered Zumba class. The thing I realized is that Equinox instructors are really passionate about what they teach. I went again on Monday for 30/60/90 and ABS-olution. Both were great! I was surprised how different exercises were so much harder. I had always thought that my abs were pretty strong, but this class was a challenge.

Martha and I did a short abs class on Wednesday and followed it with Cardio Kickboxing. The abs were a great warm-up, but the kickboxing was the real fun. The gym actually had punching stands and gloves for everyone (something Bally's would never do). Though to be honest, I was impressed that Equinox gives out towels. The people at work called me a Beverly Hillbilly. LOL. I liked the fighting techniques and thought it was a good way to work out aggression, though I won't be signing up to be a MMA fighter anytime soon. My last two classes were last Thursday. I did Liquid Strength with Story VonHolzhausen. It was insane! The movements were so precise and form was vital. She really knew what she was talking about. If I ever got a personal trainer, I'd love it to be her...or a beefy hot Jersey Shore-type guy.

But alas, all good things must come to an end. My membership has expired and I am in no position to shell out $174 a month for all the amazing amenities. On of the best parts was getting to hang out with Martha. I am really trying to branch and extend my social life beyond 9:00 to 6:00 Monday through Friday. This Monday I will start back up at my ghetto gym on 106 and 3rd. I also loved how Equinox is much more than a gym. It's a lifestyle. It's a luxury. I feel rejuvenated. I've taken a break from lifting, burned a lot of fan and ready to get back into my routine. The best part is that I'll be able to take some of the many things I learned at Equinox back with me. As soon as I'm debt-free, I'll be back at Equinox.

No comments:

Post a Comment