Thursday, January 21, 2010

Big is Beautiful?

Let's be honest. No, it's not. Spence and I were watching Taboo on Nat Geo tonight - this week's episode focused on fat people. They posed some interesting questions. But the most interesting segment argued that some interest groups are trying to change the way fat people are viewed in the United States.

Why should we remove the stigma around fat? Life is all about choices. Eggs whites and a protein shake or egg McMuffin and Starbucks latte? Take the stairs or the escalator? Go to the gym after work or go home and watch TV? Eat ice cream before bed or have some low fat vanilla yogurt?

Is it hard to be in shape? Yes! It takes hard work and dedication. There are so many times when I would rather stay home than walk to the gym in the cold. There are so many times when I would love a big bowl of Bryers Coffee ice cream, rather than a bowl of apple sauce with cinnamon.

I would never make fun of a fat person (well...I would if I were around Lora). Seriously though, I would never criticize a fat person, but, at the same time, I don't think they should try to change the ideal of beauty. In our society, tight and toned bodies are sexy. If you want to be beautiful, don't complaining and work at it. If you don't want eat right and exercise, that's totally your choice. But don't expect society's view of beauty to change to make you feel good about yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment