Sunday, January 31, 2010

Objectification

Interesting story. I was helping out at an MS seminar at work. One of the participants was on older gentleman. I was helping set up and make sure everyone signed in and felt comfortable. He started talking to me. I made small talk to be polite. He then started complimenting...a lot. At one point he put his hand on my wrist and said I was great, fantastic or something like that. My thought was that he was very perceptive. But, then I realized that it didn't offend me that he was flirting and touching my hand. Let me be clear, nothing would ever have happened. He was older, not attractive to me and just seemed a little odd.

I started thinking about it. Why didn't I get mad? Why did I take his compliments and touch on the wrist? I told Katherine about it and she told me what she would have done. She was would have cocked her head to the side, said "excuse me" and, most likely, slapped the guy. Well, she probably wouldn't have hit him, but you get the idea. This really got me thinking?

Why do women tend to be repulsed by flirting and sexual compliments? Again, to be clear, nothing the guy said to me was overtly sexual (aside from a comment about spanking, which I think was innocent). If I guy told me I was gorgeous and he wanted to sleep with me, I'd be flattered. I wouldn't do anything, but I wouldn't be offended.

Is it me? Or do all men enjoy being flirted with and receiving compliments? Why do we enjoy being objectified while women hate it?

No comments:

Post a Comment