Sunday, August 29, 2010

Bed

There a few things that most Americans get used to and eventually take for granted. Let's skip food, shelter, clothing - those are givens. I'm talking about the 21st century version of the necessities. Cable television, cell phones, and iPods - now those are the things that people can't live without. I have all those things, but I have gone without a more basic luxuries. A bed.

I've been sleeping on an air mattress since the middle of August 2009. At first it was fine. I was new to the city and money was tight. After a while, I just forgot what it was like to sleep on a real bed. Eventually, it became clear that Ari, Spencer and I would not be able to live together for much longer. Once Spencer and I talked about moving out and getting a new apartment in a nicer neighborhood, I didn't see a point in buying a bed. It would just be one more thing that I'd have to move. A once we finally moved, again money was in short supply. We had so many other expenses that kept popping up and a bed became an unnecessary (and, to be honest, impossible) luxury.

But then I got a miracle in disguise. My air mattress got a leaked. I can't find where it's coming from, but it's obvious that the ship is taking on water. I'd wake up in the middle of the night and literally be on the floor. I dealt it for a while until Spencer mentioned that I should check out financing a bed. I hadn't even thought about it. But I talked with the salesman at Sleepy's and I was approved for a 6 month plan. As long as I pay off my bed within 6 months, they won't charge me any interest. I only wish that I'd know about it before.

Tonight is going to be my first night in my new bed and I'm so excited. I went to Target and bought fancy sheets and a bed skirt (or dust ruffle as Bunny McDougal calls it). I feel like I'm finally home!

No comments:

Post a Comment