Monday, August 23, 2010

Power Vinyasa

For some things in life, a DVD will simply not do. Some things must be experienced in person. This is true for a Madonna concert, travel documentaries and, as I've found out tonight, yoga! I bought The Biggest Loser yoga DVD when I was in college and gave it a half-hearted attempt. Ashley, a friend of Michele's from work, suggested that I do power vinyasa yoga with her when she gets back from a business trip. I figured that I'd get a head start to see if I liked it.

I thought it'd be a fun, couples activity so I had Antonio meet me. First of all, I have a terrible sense of direction and was getting terribly frustrated when I couldn't find the studio. I went in every wrong direction before finally having Antonio direct me. What can I say? The East Village is still a jungle to me, but I'm getting better.

We walk into this gorgeous building and walking three flights of stairs to the studio. We take our shoes off, get mats and get ready. I notice that all the other guys take their shirts off (yum), so I decide to follow suit. We begin with some light stretches before delving into the hard stuff. I should note that the room was stunning - brick walls, large windows, candles and the sound of the rain from a passing thunderstorm. If there was ever a way to get centered, this was definitely it. Notice I didn't mentioned air conditioning. There was none and it was hot out. Everyone was dripping with sweat, which I'm sure is part of the purpose.

We started doing really hard poses that even I had trouble with. I assumed that I'd do pretty well because I lift and go to the gym regularly. I thought it'd be a piece of cake. It wasn't! Lifting and yoga are two completely different types of exercise. Lifting is loud, aggressive and all about power. Yoga is quite, strong, and all about breathing and control. Both are challenging and useful.

After intense poses, we begin to wind down. As the class progresses, the instructor lowers the lights until the only light in the flicker of the candles in the front of the room. It was so relaxing! Then she recited a quote from Mother Theresa about being the best we can even when everyone and everything tries to push you down. In the end, you will have done all those things for God and the not the world. God will know what is in your heart. Listening to her soothing voice, while lying down with my hand on my heart was magical.

I don't want to get corny, but it was very refreshing. I walked out with a feeling of soreness in my muscles and calm in my heart. I felt different, better. I felt like I had removed all the gunk that weighs on my mind. I let go of bills, work, fear, doubt for that hour. I felt, and still feel, rejuvenated and peaceful. I will be a regular in the East Village on Sunday evenings from now on. I want to continue to improve my physical strength and mental wellbeing.

No comments:

Post a Comment