Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Red Carpet

Last Saturday, Antonio, Suzanna, Juan and I went to the closing night of the New York International Latino Film Festival. Antonio and I were expecting it to be a very casual night at the movies. No! When we got the theatre we see, flash bulbs and a red carpet. FML. I'm wearing shorts and a polo. I would be fine for a nice, gay, Sunday brunch, but not the red carpet. Ah well, we head to the back of the "regular people" line and wait with Suzanna. THEN, I noticed that a bird pooped on my shoulder. FML again! It wasn't a huge stain, but it was enough to make me pout. Once we got it in, I got free samples of eye energizer (makes your eyes less puffy, removes dark circles) in the men's room. Yay.

The movie started late because the executives from HBO make speeches, the director of the movie got up to say a few words and then they gave away two tickets to Brazil. Once the movie finally did start, I had trouble understanding what was going on. The movie was in Portuguese with English subtitles. Of course, a tall guy sat in front of me. I had to move from side to side to see the entire sentence. It got better as the night went on. The movie, Sonhos Roubados (Stolen Dreams), was okay. It was about three teenage prostitutes in Brazil. It showed their struggles for normal lives and everyday pleasures. I think, at times, it made it seem like their lives weren't that bad. I expected rape scenes, abuse, drugs, etc. There were rough parts of the film, but it seemed to have an optimistic tone. The more I think about it, maybe that is more realistic than my expectations.

After the movie, we went to Better Burger for dinner. Best dinner ever! The food was okay, but the conversation had me in stitches. I love that I can hold my own with Antonio's friends. I loved talking with Suzanna and making her laugh. It was small burger joint, but we were there for at least an hour after we finished because we were having such a great time talking. Then we went to the after party for the movie at the Highland Ballroom. We got in free because we had tickets from the movie. It was really cool, but totally not my scene. The music was Brazilian and there was lots of women shaking and gyrating.

Around midnight we went to Pinkberry and got dessert because Juan and Suzanna went back to New Jersey. It was such a great time. It was funny because I had bird poop on my shirt and then Antonio got a blister from his new shoes and he got the hiccups. We laughed the whole way home because we were such a mess. It reminded me of when Charlotte and Harry went to that expensive restaurant and then got food poisoning. We were all busted up. We'd try kissing and then he'd hiccup and I'd die laughing. I love that he makes me laugh so much.

We may not have made it onto the red carpet at the film festival, but walking down the street while holding with a guy I really like feels like walking a red carpet to me :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment