Sunday, September 13, 2009

My iTunes, Myself

My old laptop went kaput. But, after fours years I should have seen it coming. I was relieved to learn that extracting my old data wasn't as hard as I thought it was going to be. I paid someone to do it for me. Geek Squad was able to save all my documents, pictures, and (most importantly), my music.

Once I got my new computer back with all my old information, I had the task of reorganizing my iTunes library. It was actually pretty simple - click and drag. I had to download a lot of artwork and recreate my playlists, but now it is almost exactly the same as it was on my old laptop.

The only thing that's different is my play counts. Sound minor, right? Not quite. Hung Up (Radio Edit) was my top song with a play count of over 260. That is an impressive number. My personal life is reflected in my top 10 as well. Erotica (You Thrill Me) and Get Together (Live) were my anthems during my life in college. Expanding it out to my top 100, you see this mosaic of me. Such diversity - Cher, Madonna, Celine Dion, Britney. So many genres, decades, styles.

I also found myself puzzled by some of the songs that I found being imported into my new library. Ol' Dirty Bastard, Loretta Lynn, Paris Hilton, Ricky Martin. What was I thinking?

Now, I rebuild. I guess this is a reinvention. I start over. I find old and new songs that reflect my style and where I am in my life. Maybe this is a good thing. I can let my new top 10 reflect a new me.

No comments:

Post a Comment