Saturday, October 17, 2009

Beauty Killer

If you were to ask most people what kind of music I like, I can predict the answers you would receive. Madonna, Britney, Cher, Lady Gaga, Beyonce, etc. I like divas! I like pretty, pop music about love and dancing and having fun. I like songs about glamour and fashion. If a song mentions a fashion designers name, you can rest assured that I love it.

However, I recently found something different. I found something that offers an alternative. The ladies make fame, fortune, and beauty all seem perfect. Jeffree Star, on the other hand, makes it look dark and dirty. I've listened to him in the past. Lollipop Luxury, Straight Boys, and Plastic Surgery Slumber Party are amazing. I just downloaded his new album, Beauty Killer, this afternoon. It's friggin' amazing - one of the best (aside from Mariah's Memoirs of an Imperfect Angel) that I've bought in a long time.

It's dark and gritty and violent. It has the same subject as Lady Gaga's The Fame, but a totally different spin on the topic. Beauty Killer is about the pain and struggle associated with fame. Read the lyrics:

"Sew up your self-esteem, it's fantastic
Your body can't move, paralyzed and plastic
Being real is so sarcastic
When you're dead you'll be airbrushed in your casket
When you're famous, you're hot
Always something you're not
So keep on fucking but you'll never reach the top"

As someone who constantly goes to the gym in search for something that I'm pretty sure isn't at the gym, I can totally relate. We struggle so much for perfection and beauty, but it's a fight that no one can win. People want to be beautiful, but no one is perfect.

"I almost died, but it felt great.
Faking perfection wasn't worth the wait
I may be easy, easy to hate
But you're so fucking easy, easy to break"

I love this honest and new view on life. People are vain and shallow and empty and broken. I'm one of those people. Jeffree has a cynical, destructive, and refreshing attitude. He's so confident in himself, which is something I'd love to be able to emulate. He's so different and doesn't care what people think of him. I love how he exposed the ugliness behind the scenes. He's sound is so dirty and raunchy and pained at some times, and yet it's set to a fun, club beat. I love the ugliness behind the search for beauty.

"But that look is lying
Fake smiles, let's pretend
Everyone acts like they're my friend
Build up, knock down, that's the trend I'm not buying it"

No comments:

Post a Comment