Saturday, October 3, 2009

Two Moments

I had two moments at work this past week that really resonated with me. I think they are the kind of moments that will stick with me for years. People always talk about pivotal life moments and think these two may those kind of experiences.

1) Dr. Sealfon and I were talking about a new clinical faculty's credentials. We've been having so many problems with getting the paperwork completed and organized, which really is Medical Staff Services' job. But he was telling me what we needed to do in order to get this new MD set so he can start practicing. Dr. Sealfon then gave me some fatherly advice or at least that is how it seemed to me. He said that people were incompetent and that only reason that his lab was so successful was because he bird-dogged (first time I've heard that expression) everyone all the time. You have to track things from one office to another because if something goes wrong, you know exactly where to go. It seemed like really good advice. People are stupid and if you have to rely on them, it's best to track their every move.

2) I had been trying to find this drug to use in a clinical trial. I need the components of the drug, not the drug itself. There are two parts and they are combined into one pill when it's sold. That doesn't work for what I need. After emailing a woman back and forth for about 6 weeks, I finally got the confirmation that she can get the drug from a Finnish manufacturer. I'm still working out the details, but I figured I had enough to finally let Dr. Sealfon know. When I told him, he actually clapped, jumped up and down and exclaimed some version of "yippee". I was really happy! I usually feel like I don't make much of a difference, but he made it clear that this would go to help people. I'm not sure exactly how much I helped, but it really made me happy to make my boss so excited. After he went back to his office, Katherine smiled her big smile and clapped.

Ah, two great moments from Mt. Sinai.

No comments:

Post a Comment