Monday, October 5, 2009

Ick on the Subway

I'm a major proponent for mass transit. It's environmentally friendly, quick and cheaper than having to pay for parking, gas and insurance. Yes, I support mass transit. However, today was different. I took the 4 from 96th all the way down to 23rd street. It was the longest (mentally) ride on the subway of my life.

At first, I thought I was gonna be lucky. I only had to wait a few minutes before the train arrived. It was a little crowded but nothing to bad...until we reached 86th when all these fairly attractive people got on. Now it was crowded and they made me feel bad about myself (which is an entirely different blog). We were crammed so tightly in the train and, to me, it felt like there was no A/C. I could feel the sweat running down my back...and not in a good way. Then the really pretty German tourist decided to move about an inch away from me. Her ponytail kept hitting me in the face and I didn't have enough room to reach into my pocket to turn up my iPod. This girl was so close to me that if she ends up pregnant, there's a chance it could be mine. Yes, that's how close we were.

Can't get worse, right? Wrong! Then around 51st or 42nd street, a whole clan of Indians got on (with their baby and a stroller). Now it can't get worse, right? Wrong! A Mexican was right behind them with a baby and a stroller. Are you fucking kidding me? Of course, neither of them bothered to fold up the stroller like the signs all say. I guess they can't read it because it's in English. I'm trying to relax and just listen to Mariah, but then I turn my head and get a nice whiff of the Indian guy. I think we all know it goes without saying that he did not smell like roses or fresh linen. At this point I was done trying to be nice. I did this like disgusted / mean / gay face (the same one that my mom makes when she's mad - I guess it's only gay when I do it). Ah well.

Finally, we get to my stop and I literally have to climb over and push people out of the way. Getting off the subway was the best feeling in the world. Normally, the subway is great! But today is was...ick.

No comments:

Post a Comment