Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Neurology Holiday Party

College students worry about finals. I don't have finals anymore, but I certainly had a huge test yesterday. One of the my responsibilities is to plan and execute our departmental holiday party. Throwing a party? I went to Radford - sounds like a piece of cake, right? No, it's crazy. Granted, one reason it was stressful was because I didn't start early enough.

Katherine and I went to Union Square (all the way from 100th to 14th) to get supplies and decorations and the store was SOLD OUT. Um...what? How can you be sold out of holiday decorations. Again, it was a few days before party. Carol got the supplies and she did a great job, aside from the Christmas trees. Side note: I don't think it's right that I was so worried that my Christmas tree center pieces would offend someone.

I order catering, kosher catering, wine and beer, ice, and coffee. There were so many things that could go wrong. But, luckily, nothing did. The food showed up right on time. The ice was a little late, but that wasn't a disaster. One minor crisis was that we didn't have a corkscrew. I jetted from 98th to 95th to the liquor store. I was so out of breath and still had my Sinai badge clipped to my shirt that the guy just gave it to me for free.

The best part of the night was when Sealfon put his hand on my shoulder and said that it was "tremendous". I don't need constant praise and attention, but it's nice every once in a while.

Cleaning up was a bitch, but isn't it always? At least I turned on the projector so we could have some Gaga in surround sound. Overall, it was nice, classy party. People were happy and my boss (most important) was happy. Next year, we'll get a DJ or use my iPod (wouldn't that be fabulous) and have dancing. We'll also have it in a bigger venue. But those are minor details.

If this holiday party were a final exam, then I would definitely say that I passed with flying colors (as cliche as it sounds).

No comments:

Post a Comment