Monday, December 21, 2009

'Tis The Season

I don't really get into the Christmas spirit much anymore. I feel like it's a child's holiday. I know that Santa isn't real. I don't get excited about opening presents. It's just not my thing.

But, if there is any city that can make even the most cynical Scrooge feel warm-hearted around the holidays, it's Manhattan. I went to BestBuy to get Renee's Christmas present. It was oddly fun. The crowds, the disorganization, the long lines. It was somewhat rewarding to know that I had people for whom I needed to buy gifts. Next I went to Barnes and Noble and picked up my NYC "holiday" cards. I figure this way I can't offend anyone. The woman at the counter was nice and I said, "have a nice holiday" before she did. She seemed genuinely happy and surprised. It's one of those moments where the holiday spirit takes over and you feel connected with other people.

Then I walk home, even though it was a little chilly out. I ended up passing 1st and kept walking until I reached York. I wasn't paying attention, oh well. But, I ended up passing the ASPCA and saw the cutest cat. I stopped and made tried to figure out how I could afford a cat. I, being a mature adult, realize that now is the not the time to get a cat. It will come, but not now.

It was nice to skip over slush puddles, walk past peoples selling Christmas trees and take in the smell of pine. Dr. Gendelman got me a bottle of wine for the holidays. People just seem to be nice and happy and more patient. I'm sure it won't last past Christmas Day, but it is nice.

Just wait, next year I'll be wearing an ugly Christmas sweater - I can see it now.

No comments:

Post a Comment