Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Bionic

Christina Aguilera released her fourth album, Bionic, this past Tuesday. I had mixed feelings regarding the album. The first single, Not Myself Tonight, was just good. It didn't blow me away, but I liked listening to it. WooHoo is great, but it's a little long. I heard Christina perform Lift Me Up and You Lost Me at the Haiti telethon and American Idol, respectively and couldn't get enough. I went from lows to highs before the album was even released.

Now, I've heard the entire album. I would argue that it's a great CD with a few flaws. The problem is that Christina's voice is too good for the kind of music she wants to make. Britney does great dance music because she has to rely on autotune to make great sounding music. Christina doesn't have to do that. She can sing acapella and it sounds breathtaking. The outrageous "Not Myself Tonight" music video is another example of Christina trying too hard and doing something unnecessary. She doesn't have to rely on sex or shock value to sell records. Some of the songs, while catchy, sound beneath her. Bobblehead, a favorite of mine, feels as though it would be more appropriate on an Avril Lavigne CD. I Hate Boys is so cliché and does nothing to highlight Christina's voice.

It doesn't come as a shock to me that my favorite songs on the album are the slower tracks. Lift Me Up, You Lost Me, I Am, Stronger than Ever are among my faves. They showcase the raw power of her voice. That being said, there are some great tracks - Vanity, Desnudate, and Bobblehead to name a few. Intros, in general, are a waste of space in my opinion. I don't need and 11 second introduction to a song. I'm smart; I can figure out what the song is about.

Deejay and I were talking about the recent Christina / Gaga controversy. He argued that Christina has a much better voice, but that Gaga is a better artist. Gaga is who she is and she doesn't have to try. This new, dirtier Christina feels forced and unnatural. She's a mother and happily married. The whole lesbian, grinding, sex pot doesn't fit her anymore. I don't think she could ever create something as original and sleek and amazing as Gaga's Alejandro.

I would say - go buy it! It's a great album. There are definitely some tracks that you'll want to skip over, but there are plenty of gems. It's not as perfect as Back to Basics, but it's definitely worth repeated listenings.

No comments:

Post a Comment