Wednesday, June 2, 2010

SATC2...Again

I very rarely ever see a movie at the theater more than once. But, I instantly knew that after seeing Sex and the City 2 when it opened on the 27th that I desperately needed to see it again. I was in luck! When my fellow New Yorker (well...Long Islander) and new bff, Jen Varley, was in the city I knew exactly what the two of us needed. We were just in time to catch the 3:10 at the Regal on 42nd street.

Seeing it a second time was very interesting. I didn't have to worry about trying to follow the story or predict what was going to happen because I had already seen it. I was able to just sit back and enjoy it! It was better the 2nd time around. I picked up jokes that I had missed the first time. How could I miss the "Lawrence of my labia" comment from Samantha?

The audience was much better too! I could hear the women laugh when Samantha did the Single Ladies (Put a Ring on It) dance at Anthony and Stanford's wedding. I smiled when they all gasped when Carrie and Aidan kissed. It almost felt interactive - as though we were a collective group enjoying the movie together, even though we were all strangers!

Critics argue that there wasn't much of a plot. I disagree! Charlotte deals with complexities of raising two children and worrying that her husband may cheat with the nanny, Samantha braves the maze of menopause (at least they aren't shying away from her age), Miranda deals with missing working after she quits her job, and Carrie dwells on the very real fear that she and Big may become boring and lose the sparkle. Sure, it's not as dramatic as the first film, but that's good! Drama is great, but so is comedy and fun!

I can't wait to see it a 3rd time and I can't wait to be first in line for the DVD.

No comments:

Post a Comment