Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Manhattan Real Estate

I never thought that finding a new apartment would become a full time job. When I started working at Sinai, my first priority was finding a place to live. I wasn't really picky and didn't put too much emphasis on neighborhood or the social / nightlife aspect. I just really wanted to be done with my 90 minute commute. Now, I've been here for a year and I'm ready for something different, new and better.

We found a great place on 85th between 3rd and Lex - that's AMAZING! It's close to the 4 and 5, movie theaters, bars, restaurants, shopping. It couldn't get better. Well, there are a few drawbacks. The rooms are quite small and that could pose a problem. It's still close to the top of our list. We put in our applications and I'm working on getting my dad to sign the guarantor form. BUT, last night I found an even better apartment on 3rd and like 84th (I think). The pics make it look amazing!! We're going to see it tomorrow. If it looks like it does in the pictures, we'll take it on the spot. I'm so excited.

One thing I've found is that Manhattan real estate goes so quickly. I found one apartment that I really like. It was posted in the afternoon and by the time the realtor emailed me the next morning, it was already gone. It's like it's a race! You have to be on the ball! You can't wait. You can't hesitate.

For this apartment that we're looking at tomorrow, I saw the listing at 11:30 yesterday evening. I emailed the realtor at midnight, texted him at 7:15 and then called and left a voicemail at 7:30. Luckily, it paid off and he agreed to show it. He couldn't get the keys from the tenants so we couldn't see it tonight. It was like a knife in my chest. But, I texted him and made it VERY clear that we were very interested and that we'd probably take the apartment. I even told to bring the paperwork with him tomorrow and we'd sign. I couldn't stress my seriousness and interest (and OCD) enough.

We're looking for a home for the next three years and I don't want to settle. It's very tough to make a decision. You don't want to settle and pick something that you don't absolutely love. But, you don't also want to keep tossing back decent places in hopes that you find your dream apt because it may not happen. We're looking at the apartment at 5:45 tomorrow. I hope (and even pray in this case) that everything goes well and we LOVE this apartment!

Wish us luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment