Monday, June 21, 2010

Where to Start?

Where do I begin? I went back to Radford this past weekend. It was such a wonderful, sad, funny, crazy, amazing trip! There are so many things that I want to remember. Let's just start at the beginning.

I woke up at 2:30 so that I wouldn't miss my flight at 7:00. It's a little overdramatic, I know. I left my apartment around 4:00 and got to the M60 bus stop on 125th street (that's REAL Harlem). The homeless people walk up and ask for spare change. I, sincerely, tell them that I don't have any. Then I realize that I'm dressed in nice clothes, have a suitcase, and a huge bag from Tiffany and Co. Yeah, I don't have 30 cents. The bus shows up pretty quickly and I'm expecting it to be empty. Nope. It's packed. I'm lucky enough to get a seat. There was a drunk and / or European guy who would not stop talking. I'm not trying to be a bitch, but it's 4:00. So, you know, shut the fuck up.

I get to the airport, get lost, find my way and eventually make it on the plane. Everything goes very smoothly. I land in Richmond 45 minutes later - shortest flight ever. I pick up my rental car and shocked to find out that it's $375. It was only supposed to be $150, but then they add insurance, taxes, gas, and fees. It's such a scam, but I couldn't get to Radford without it. The drive to RU was amazing!!! I was rocking out to Miley, Adam Lambert, the cast of Glee, a little Christina and Whitney and throw in a little Reba for good measure. It was so much fun!!

I didn't realize that Quest was going to be that day, so it was an extra treat. I went to the bookstore first. I was so excited to see Tania, Donna, Justin, Megan, Abigail, Linda and Megan! It was very Carrie coming back to New York after leaving Paris. There was lots of hands being thrown in the air and hugs and screaming. Then as I was walking to NSP, I saw Dr. Pappas sitting in his truck. We talked for a little. He's such a trip. I really had no idea what he was talking about, but he gave me an arĂȘte for the day. And then he started singing about dreaming of swine all day. You'd have to be in one of his classes to understand. I went to NSP and saw my other family! Debbie was so excited! Check it out! Michele and Lindsay were so excited to hear about my fabulous life in New York, Michele and I talked forever. Lastly, I went to Admissions and saw my other Debbie! I notice that love hanging out with southern, older women. I just love them.

It was perfect timing because Skeens was in Radford packing her apartment. She and I went to the Quest play. It was so surreal to see other people doing the same play that I had done 4 years earlier. They did pretty good, but they ain't got nothing on Quest '06. We hung out with her dad and sister for a bit and then sat on her patio after they went to bed. I love her so much. She's so chill and we just sat there and talked about life after college and enjoyed the warm, summer air.

Julianna and Kevin's wedding was so beautiful! Luckily I made it on time despite some directional inconsistencies. It was a very traditional ceremony. She cried while trying to repeat after the pastor. And when she cried, of course, I started crying. The reception was great too! Tonise and I sat with Jessica Lollar and her husband. I really misjudged Jessica. I always thought she was hateful and homophobic (that's the distinct impression I get from her dad). But is truly the sweetest person I've ever met. We had a great conversation! I can't believe she has a baby. I really wish her the best. I love when people surprise you for the better. Tonise and I hung out after the reception. I love people with whom you can just be. We just hung out, watched TV, and talked. She's a very comfortable person to be around. Now, I just need to convince her to go to law school at NYU. I'm up for the challenge.

Sunday morning was bittersweet. I got some fruit from Food Lion and went down to the river near Dedmon. It was relaxing and peaceful and calm. I walked in the river and along the bank. It was great to take a breath, relax and clear my head. I walked through campus one last time and saw a family sitting by the fountain. I was hoping and praying they'd ask me some questions. They did! After asking if I was there for orientation and explaing that I'd graduated in '09, the questions came - rapid fire. I loved every minute it. I could tell that some things I told them were word for word what I used to say on tours. I still got it. Then I said goodbye and drove away.

My flight back to New York was fine! Antonio picked me up from the airport. As we drove back into Manhattan. I couldn't tell if it was him, the cool leather seats or all the lights and shiny buildings, but I realized that I'm exactly where I need to be. The trip was exactly what I needed. Every once in a while I need to get away, breathe, clear my head and just be still.

That's what happened, now let's explore the crazy rollercoaster of thoughts and emotions that race through my head throughout the weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment