Wednesday, September 8, 2010

American Idiot

One of my dreams came true tonight. I'd always dreamed of going to a Broadway show with my boyfriend. I bought tickets to American Idiot for Antonio's birthday back in August. The show was tonight and it was amazing! I wasn't sure what to expect. I have the Green Day album and loved it, so I thought I'd like the music. At the same time, I wasn't sure how they'd adapt an album into a musical. They did a great job -fantastic music with a very heartfelt story.

Among the highlights were the amazing use of video screens and visual effects. Our society is so engulfed with media so it made sense that television, news reports and pop culture would be a major part of the show. It really makes you step back and consider the reality and negative aspects of the American way of life, which I believe was the mission of the original album.

The ballads (Wake Me Up When September Ends, Boulevard of Broken Dreams) were amazing! The lead was a very talented (and gorgeous) singer and guitar player. The emotion was palpable and the story was so real. It was very interesting to see the three characters and the different paths they choose and the consequences of their actions. There was a lot of heart and deep emotion that shine through the grungy rock exterior.

It was definitely not your typical musical. The music was loud with lots of guitars and drums, the choreography was fast and angry and it definitely was not fabulous. While I still believe that Next to Normal is my favorite musical, American Idiot was a great Broadway experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment