Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Sesame Street Too Sexy?

I may only be twenty-three, but sometimes I feel like a parent of twin daughters. I'll explain. I notice that I see things around me and remark how inappropriate they are considering children see them. There are ads for The Virginity Hit, which is some movie that will undoubtedly bomb at the box office. The various tag lines refer to virginity as a problem or at least something embarrassing. One read, "Still a virgin? We can help." I'm just envisioning my 12-year-old sister seeing this ad and thinking that virginity is something disposable. And in true Ann Daemer (my mom) fashion, I threaten to write letters and complain.

Kids grow up quickly and tweens / teenagers have so many pressures that I didn't face when I was going through that awkward stage of life. There are so many mixed messages and traps for adolescents these days. But you would think that toddlers and young children are exempt from all these corrupting influences? You'd be wrong!

I was making my hourly visit to PerezHilton.com and saw a story on Katy Perry's appearance on Sesame Street. I was intrigued and a little worried. First she's singing "Ur So Gay," which I find offensive and next she exploits girl on girl kissing to gain popularity. How exactly does she fit into the target audience for Sesame Street? She did a re-worked version of her hit, Hot N Cold. I'll admit that it was well-written and showed her brains, but it was her outfit that revealed even more. As you can see from the picture below, this is entirely inappropriate for a children's program. Honestly, what the hell was she thinking? It was the VMAs, it was Sesame Street. Of course parents complained and they banned the clip from ever being aired. Good! If the producers, wardrobe people or Katy herself had used any common sense, she'd have put on a complete outfit.

Maybe I'm conservative. Maybe I'm old-fashioned. But, really - what is the world coming to?

No comments:

Post a Comment