Friday, January 7, 2011

Office Politics (7th Grade Revisited)

I like my job. It pays the bills and it's been a great introduction into a professional environment. That being said, there are days where I feel like I'm in the 7th grade again. Today was one of those days. It started with someone in our department accusing another employee of stealing time, which she probably has been doing. I don't know all the facts so I can't really make an opinion either way. I can predict exactly what will happen...nothing. I've learned that you can threaten to kill people (that's also happened recently) and they won't do anything. Whoever coined the phrase "get away with murder" must have worked in my department.

So this morning started with lots of gossip and drama. The afternoon can't get worse, right? Well, I find out through the grapevine that another employee thinks my friend and I talk too much. This employee also didn't like that we ate lunch and laughed. I was more than mad when I found this out and not necessarily because of what they said. It's that they said it behind my back to another employee. If you have a problem, why not come to me? I can't change anything unless it's brought to my attention. Hearing that someone doesn't like the way you do your job through the grapevine is utterly infuriating. I'm sure my 13-year-old sister is dealing with similar situations right now. Maybe I should ask her for professional advice.

I don't get it. In my entire working career so far, Barnes and Noble has been the most productive, accountable and professional job thus far. My current position seems to be divided 50/50 right now - 50% work and 50% dealing with unnecessary, political nonsense.

It may be time to dust off my resume.

No comments:

Post a Comment