Thursday, January 13, 2011

Uncle Fred

Today was the memorial service for Uncle Fred. I distinctly remember where I was when I learned that he had passed away. I was listening to a voicemail from my younger sister during Joey's bachelor party in Atlantic City. I remember feeling a genuine sadness. I knew that he was not doing well and that he would not be around much longer, but it still came as a surprise.

It's weird to know someone for your entire life and then they are just gone. He and I were not close and I rarely saw him after we moved to Landenberg, but I still feel like he was a big part of my childhood. I always remember that he was kind and asked me how I was doing. The service was very nice - very poignant thoughts for everyone to reflect upon. Renee began crying and I reached over and held her hand. I didn't start crying but only because I fought hard to keep the tears back. I think funerals are always so sad.

I realize that my tears and sadness weren't for my personal grief. I was sad for Aunt Kathy. I can only imagine the paid of loving a partner for 20+ years, raising children with them, building a life together and then one day they are just gone. I wouldn't know how to go on. I would be completely lost. Aunt Kathy was putting on a brave face and smiling but I'm sure she's very lonely. There was a big reception afterward with lots of people, but I would think the sadness came back when everyone left.

The only comfort I take in the situation is that Uncle Fred and Aunt Kathy had a wonderful life together. They had two great kids, a beautiful granddaughter and a happy marriage. Some people aren't lucky to experience these things in their lives. I know that it's only a minor comfort, but I hope she finds a little peace in knowing that she was blessed with love and that she still has so many people that deeply care for her.

No comments:

Post a Comment