Sunday, July 12, 2009

Customer Service

I spent my weekend relaxing. Nothing exciting or new, but after a week of excitement and challenges, I was looking forward to slowing down. I went to Sam's Club today to pick up a few things we needed.

I was shocked at the customer service at Sam's Club. It was terrible. I asked one of the associated where to find 5 hour energy. He didn't know. He said to check one end of the store and then another if I couldn't find it. Then I asked someone else. I walked up to him and said okay, like he was giving me permission to ask him a question. I got to the store 30 minutes before they closed and was still shopping when the announcer said the store was closing and everyone needed to check out.

I got the check out line only to find two of the cashiers were getting cashed out. The "manager" was wearing a New York Yankees (this Sam's Club was in Princeton) and I saw him eat some cookies from the bakery. The cashier was slow and in a bad mood. I guess I should have apologized that I was inconveniencing her.

Life is all about customer service. I'm in customer service. Dr. Sealfon is my customer. My mom is in customer service. The pastor and church are her customers. My sister is in customer service. Her clients are her customers. Hell, even relationships are a form of customer service. They require constant attention and work to make sure the other person is happy while also making sure you are satisfied. There's point if the customer is happy and the worker is miserable.

I guess the bookstore was different. Me and the other people that worked there were always considerate and friendly. We never made customers feel as though they were a bother. I was usually genuinely happy to help other people. Maybe it's just me. I know that working in some places (Starbucks, Sam's club, McDonalds) may not be very rewarding or fulfilling, but does it make sense to make other people unhappy just because you are unhappy.

If you are going to do a job, you should just do it with a smile and to the best of your ability.

No comments:

Post a Comment