Friday, July 3, 2009

Rob Vs The Subway

$30 a day for a cab ride uptown in the morning and a cab ride downtown after work would get ridiculously expensive. I realized that the cheapest and quickest way to get to work after I got to Penn Station would be the subway.

The subway. An elaborate, interconnected system of tunnels that run throughout the five boroughs. I had done my research and concluded that I could take the F right from Penn Station, change at Lexington / 63rd to the 6 and take that to Lexington / 103rd. That would put me about 10 minutes from the hospital. That worked, hypothetically.

When I finally got into Penn Station, the F train was no where to found. Since I had a lot of free time, I knew I could ride the subway I figured it out. I ended up taking the C to the 7 to F to the 6. It sounds like a very confusing math problem. It was.

Eventually, I figured it out. To get to work, I'll take the train from NJ to Penn Station and then walked about 6 blocks to the 6 train. It's a lot easy to just walk a few blocks to a station where I can catch one train that takes me exactly where I need to go, rather than changing stations 4 times. People say that New Yorkers are unfriendly, but when I and this other guy were trying to find the 6 people helped us out. Four or five people gave advice to help us get where we were going. And, I think I'll remain my friendly self. A mother needed help getting her two kids in a stroller up the subway steps, so I offered to help her. I picked up the bottom of the stroller and helped her. I think NYC gets a bad reputation.

After I figured out how I would commute each day, I still wasn't ready to leave. It was about 12:30 and didn't want to head back to NJ yet. I went to Penn Station from the 6 station and take the 1 all the way uptown. It goes directly to 103rd from Penn Station. But, it's on the Upper West Side. Central Park separates me from where I was and where the hospital is located. I figured I could give it a try...maybe it'd be quicker. No. No, it wasn't.

I walked through Central Park and talked to Lora while she was on her lunch break. It was really nice. It was really nice until it started raining. I got caught in the rain in the middle of the park...in flip-flops. My feet were killing me. Today, my feet hurt so badly from the walking and the rain.

In the end, though, I feel like I have kinda figured out the subway. I know that I'll be able to make it to work on time. There's still a lot to learn, but I think I'll make it just fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment