Wednesday, July 8, 2009

New Beginnings

This blog title has two meanings. First, starting my new job in New York is a new chapter in my life. Second, New Beginnings is the name of Mount Sinai's new employee orientation program. I attend New Beginnings on Monday. It was a very brief overview of hospital policies and procedures. It was dry at times and interesting at times, particularly when Dr. Ken Davis (Mt. Sinai's President / CEO) spoke to us. I could have done without the scavenger hunt throughout the hospital - I'm not a freshman in college. But, hey, it was creative and I got to walk around a little, so I'll cut them some slack.

My first day was a whirlwind. I got to the office before anyone else, which was nice b/c I had a chance to get settled. The phone rang and I had no idea what to do. Of course, I answered it and fumbled my way through and was able to transfer it. The second call went a little better. Dr. Sealfon took me to the 20th floor for cappuccino. I told him that I loved cappuccino. Then, when he asked me how I liked my coffee I had no idea what to say. I don't drink coffee, so I just said however he liked his coffee. That's the dumbest answer ever!! Ah well, it was nice to sip coffee and chat.

I got a few projects that I'm still working on. I'm currently trying to find a drug company that will sell us L-Baclofen to use in a human trail. If anyone has any lying around, send some my way. I'm also working on contacting a publisher to get the rights to a book so the hospital can publish the second edition. So, if anyone from the bookstore is reading this, I might be giving you a call :-)

Today, my second day, was a lot better. I am beginning to feel comfortable, but I've still got a long way to go. The biggest challenge is finding names and phone numbers. The online directory is pitiful! Everyone else has a huge book with every department listed. I don't have a copy yet...and I desperately need one. Other than that, I've begun organizing faculty away forms, scheduling meetings for a potential recruit and keeping up with Dr. Sealfon's calendar.

My coworkers are really nice - Katherine, Swann and Susan are really nice. I think I'm starting to let my humorous side show and I think they like it. Everyday is challenging and I'm constantly on my toes. It's like my job in Admissions...but on steroids. I think that I'll really be able to distinguish myself through hard work and perseverance.

But hey, it's only been two days. I've got a long way to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment