Saturday, July 18, 2009

The Messiah's Broken Promises

I voted for Obama, but I'm beginning to think it was a mistake. I don't know what I was expecting. I guess I thought things would get better. He is such a wonderful speaker and I really believed all the things he said.

I thought electing Obama would mean a huge leap forward in equality. I still can't get married. Nothing really seems to have changed. I feel like he said everything he said just to get my vote and now that he's in office, he doesn't need me. I know that many in the gay community feel disillusioned and deceived.

Also, the economy is still terrible. I'm lucky to even have a job and it doesn't look like it's going to be getting better soon. I'm sure my check is going to be an even bigger disappointment. I understand why taxes are important. I know it costs money to build bridges, fund schools, and pay for police, firefighters, etc. However, I don't think that I should lose 1/3 of my paycheck to pay for healthcare for smokers who get lung cancer, lazy people who would rather collect unemployment than get a job, or to fund prisons so inmates can watch HBO and eat 3 meals a day.

With that attitude I feel like I should vote Republican. Ick. I know. But, I feel like being gay and a republican just don't mix. I know their stance on gay marriage and it's a deal-breaker. The idea of compromising my demand for equality for more money in my paycheck seems wrong.

So, I feel stuck. I don't wanna vote for the Republican candidate who hates me to my face. Nor, do I want to vote for the Democrat who is going to lie to my face and hate me behind my back.

4 comments:

  1. I hate to see you so upset about this. I would say that you shouldn't look at the title of each candidate (Democrat or Republican) but who you think will work better for you and if that happens to be a Republican then so be it. But, unfortunately, I don't see any good coming toward the gay community until at least 50% of the population openly admit to supporting gay rights.

    I have to believe that Obama will make a difference in the future. It's hard to make a difference in one year when everyone (including myself) expects so much. And his affects might show in a few years, I hope so anyway.

    I became really upset with politics after college as well. I think knowing too much has made it impossible for me not to dislike politicians. But being in Paris and taking care of the kids have taken me away from politics and it's made me a bit happier. Just being politically ignorant and taking a breather has been pretty nice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Obama has only been in office for 6 months and has made a decent head way on a lot of issues. Unfortunantly, the president is not the only one who gets to make decions. His heart and mind are in the right place, but it takes time. Hold out, Rob. In our lifetime, we will see more equal rights. I think you did the right thing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Advocate's latest issue has a pink and purple pic of Obama with the work Nope? on the cover. Sometimes I feel that he pandered to the LGBT community. But, then I realize that the economy is really crappy and that should take priority. I'm still not happy with his performance, but I guess I just need to be patient.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rob, first I have to tell you how much I miss you already! Next, I totally agree with your feelings on Obama. I feel like I was used. He certainly doesn't seem to be following through on all the things he won me over with...time will tell I suppose.

    I'm enjoying your blog and I hope to become a faithful follower! I love you bunches and I hope you find that perfect apartment very soon! Consider yourself hugged!

    ~Tracey

    P.S. Debbie doesn't laugh nearly as much w/o you here!

    ReplyDelete