Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Coming Out...For the Last Time

Yesterday was my Mom's 53rd birthday, so I made the trek down to New Jersey to talk, have cake, open presents and just enjoy some family time. I was really surprised how mature Renee is getting. She's no longer that little girl that I used to bicker with and tease. She's becoming an adult.

We did all the obligatory birthday rituals and followed them with badminton. Michele had to leave for the airport for a business trip around 2:00, so Kasey and I entertained for about another hour until Mom, Sam and Renee got ready to go home.

Renee came up to me and asked if we could talk. I was expecting something regarding boy trouble or puberty questions, both of which would be equally mortifying. But, I told her she could come to me if she ever needed to talk. She told me that I seemed different and happier. Could it be that obvious that Antonio has been such a positive change in my life? Is my little sister that perceptive? I played it off and said I didn't know what she was talking about. And that was it.

Then right before they were getting ready to leave, she came up to me again. This time was nervous. She was beating around the bush and saying she didn't know to ask me what wanted to ask me. I smirked because I figured what she wanted to ask. I was like, "just ask me." She finally asked me if I was gay.

I was like, "Yeah. I am. Is that cool with?" I had never really considered telling her. She figured that I was ever since she saw the shirtless Zac Efron pic by my bed. We then had our first adult conversation. It was no longer big brother / little sister. It was just two adults talking. I explained how she was too young when I came out to the rest of the family four years ago. I never really thought about telling. She was a little upset that I never told her, but she was fine. She got a little emotional, which really perplexed me. I still haven't figured that one out. I think it just turned her world upside down a little. She mentioned how she thought I had a lot of girlfriends in high school. I corrected that they were friends that were girls, not girlfriends.

I haven't "come out" to anyone in such a long time. I figure at this point it's just something that people can figure out for themselves. I don't even see it as a thing I need to explain. It's a characteristic - just like being tall, short, fat or thin. It's just another genetic trait. But I am glad that Renee and I got this out of the way. I think she'll open up to me and she and I'll get a lot closer. I really want to be her fabulous, gay brother who takes her to Broadway and to go shopping on 5th Avenue. I think this was a big step forward in our relationship.

2 comments:

  1. Hello! I just read this post, but It's amazing... I'm happy because your sister and you are closer now...
    Excuse me, but my english is not very good...
    But I love your blog. You inspired me to come out with my family, and I'm very nice now :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Damian, I am so happy that you enjoy reading my blog. You're English is very good. I am very proud that you came out to your family. It's a very hard thing to do and requires a lot of courage. I know that living honestly is so much better than living in fear. I look forward to your future comments.

    ReplyDelete