Monday, December 27, 2010

Christmas '10

Every Christmas is different, but the last few years have been really transformative for my family. Over the past 10 years, Michele and I have both graduated from college and moved away, Michele and Kasey got married and Renee has grown from a baby into a young woman. All the changes are dizzying. Christmas 2010 was the first time in a long time that I felt like we are where we are going to be. Michele and I are no longer a part of the nuclear family and that's okay. I'll never go back to my room and chill the way I did when I was in high school. Michele will never be the babysitter for her younger brother, in the most literal sense. We've all grown up and grown into the family that we are today. I like it.

The Highlights

Michele and I visited Grandpop and then Aunt Honey. They both seemed alert, healthy and happy. I only get to see them around the holidays and I always think when I'm with this that it may be the last time. I'm always grateful when I get to see them. Aunt Honey is an absolute riot! You aren't going to hold anything back when you're 79. She just calls it like I see it. We didn't get to see Uncle Fred because he wasn't doing well either day we were around. It's absolutely heartbreaking. Aunt Kathy is such a huge part of our family and it breaks my heart to think that she knows this will be the last Christmas she will have with her husband. I wish there was more I could do.

Michele, Renee and I did our usually family crafts. Instead of a gingerbread house, this year we did a gingerbread train. It's always fun! It's the simple things that are really restful and relaxing. Michele also bought a kit to make ornaments using little beads of colored plastic and metal molds. It's funny to see how far we've come. Michele and I used to fight before she left college. Renee and I used to fight before I left for college. And Michele and I didn't have much in common while I was in college. It's only been in the last few years (since I've come out) that I've really noticed that the three of us are really close. It's probably that we're all maturing and realizing that family is really the most important thing.

We did our usual Christmas Eve tree decorating and gift opening. It was fun. I got a lot of great gifts - some practical and some unexpected. The best part was seeing Renee's face when she opened her Justin Bieber CD and book. You can tell if you got a 13-year-old girl a good gift by the screech. She had the CD on replay in her room until I left the next evening.

It's always great to see my parents! My mom always goes out of her way to make sure we're comfortable and taken of. You tell her you like something and then...BAM, you get a years' supply. She asked what kind of snacks we'd like to have. I told her that I like almonds. Next thing I know, I'm trying to fit a 3 pound bag of almonds in my suitcase. It's a great gift though! I'll be snacking away at work for the next 6 months.

The only downer this season was that I didn't get to see my dad. I left the day before I was supposed to see him because of the impending storm. We did get a lot of snow so it seems like I made the right decision. Still, I haven't seen him in over a year so it would have been nice. If only there was better public transportation to southern Delaware.

I am very thankful for my wonderful family, our good health and our safe travels this year. We've settled into the family that we're meant to be and I think it fits perfectly...like my fabulous fingerless gloves.

No comments:

Post a Comment