Friday, December 17, 2010

Neuro Holiday Party 2010

This past Wednesday was our annual party. Somehow organizing it always falls on me, which I don't really mind. This year I started early and made sure that things (most things) didn't get done at the last minute. You know what that's called? Growth.

We bought blue and white centerpieces with blue, frosted snowflake tea lights, and white snowflake confetti on the tables. Aesthetically, it was much nicer than last year. Everything clicked in the beginning. Both the Kosher and non-Kosher food showed up on time. Katherine and I got everything set up before the party started (unlike last year). The band (ugh, that's a whole other story) showed up and were ready when the party began. For the most part, everything ran smoothly.

Now, everyone likes to complain, but no one wants to help. People didn't like that we had room temperature finger-food. Don't get it twisted! We spent about $3,000 on food and it was delicious. People were just used to a nice sit-down meal. They didn't like the music because it was acoustic and slow. They were used to a DJ and dance floor. Essentially, it all comes down to money. The previous administration spent money like it was no object (right or wrong, I can't make a judgment because I wasn't there for it). Now, we've scaled things down and people aren't happy about it. People didn't like that we were in the lobby, though I can't really blame them.
My boss was happy with it except for the fact that the food ran out early. The lab people, who I'm convinced are genetically predisposed to lack social etiquette, took huge plates of food. You'd think they were saving for the entire winter.
I think / hope that people realize that I did the best I could given the limitations. Hopefully, we'll have a good year and we'll be able to organize a party that's bigger and better next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment