Sunday, December 12, 2010

Lonely / Legend

I'm dogsitting this weekend for my sister, while she and my brother-in-law go to Atlantic City. She left me her car, gave me more than enough money for food and said to just make myself at home. I took the opportunity to get some Christmas shopping done while belting out top 40 radio hits in the car. It's the little things in life. I ordered a feast from Dominos and enjoyed it while watching some tv.

After the sun went down, I realized how lonely being alone in a big house could be. I couldn't step out the front door and see people walking down the street. Even when I was at the mall, I felt this weird disconnect with the strangers around me. It was weird, but I felt so alone when I was in stores or strolling through the parking lot. Walking through Target was rough because I'd see all the holiday place settings and decorations and want them so badly. I'd think about what my life could (and might) be like in the future. I missed Antonio. I wanted nothing more than to have him there with me, holding my hand.

Ok. Enough of the sad stuff. So after a brief nap, I decide to watch I Am Legend. I'd seen it before and loved it. It was even more fun to watch now because it was filmed in NYC. I've actually been to most of the places in the movie. It's a great, but suspenseful (and scary at times) movie. I watched Will Smith run from mutant zombies for two hours. And about ten minutes after it ended, the power to my sister's house goes out. Omg! And of course in my mind, the zombies are quickly climbing down through the attic. I am literally paralyzed on the couch. I just keep playing the game on my iPhone quietly so the zombies won't hear me. I guess I'd have to save Bogie, though I'm sure Michele would forgive me if something ate him in the event of a mutant apocalypse. Oh well, the lights came back on and I watched some happy tv before heading to bed.

It's fitting that I spent the afternoon and early evening feeling so isolated and lonely and then I watch a movie about a man who's the only person left alive in Manhattan. I'll just be happy when I see the sun shining in the morning while I drink some hot tea.

Ps: please excuse any typos. I'm writing this from the guest bed on my iPhone.

No comments:

Post a Comment