Sunday, February 20, 2011

Born This Way

I set my alarm for 3:50 am. Lady Gaga's new single, Born this Way, was set to debut on online radio at precisely 4:00 am. Its dedication and possibly insanity, but I can't wait for this song to come out. I opened the site and waited anxiously while the DJ waited for the record company to send the song to him. Had I not given up biting my nails, they would have been bitten down to stubs. Finally the moment had arrived and Gaga's song started.

Upon first listen I couldn't tell if it was because I was tired and groggy, but I didn't like the song. I listened to it a few more times while I was getting ready for work but it still didn't excite me. My friends on Facebook were also underwhelmed and I began to feel really disappointed. There were instant comparisons to Madonna's Express Yourself. I will agree that I can hear the similarities that people are mentioning. I began to think that this would be her first non-hit. I began to worry if her magic was beginning to fade.

But, I continued to listen. I was fueled by the fact that it was hard to find. It didn't appear on iTunes until 9:00 that Friday morning. I liked it, but didn't love it. But the fact that I couldn't listen to it easily drove me crazy. I bought the song and really began to listen to it. I still feel that some of the lyrics don't make much sense, but it's the message that finally converted me to a skeptic to a believer.

The song has such a strong inclusive, accepting message. I started to think if I'm listening to this song and others are listening to it as well, the message will become contagious. Lady Gaga with her crazy outfits and addicting club beats can change the world. I also thought about Renee - my 13-year-old sister. She recently told me that she hates her hair color. I began to think that she needs to hear this song and know that she's perfect just the way she is and she was, like the song says, born this way. It's a lesson that I'd love to internalize.

My enthusiasm is reinvigorated for the new album and I can't wait for the music video to be released. Lady Gaga is no longer just a pop star, she is a cultural icon. I am so proud that she is using her money and fame to help create a more accepting and loving (and danceable) place.

Gaga, I'm your little monster now and forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment