Friday, February 18, 2011

The Money Game

I have a new favorite game. It doesn't really have a name, but I'd love suggestions. Here are the rules. I am given a certain amount of money each week and the goal is still see how little of that money I can spend and still live a decent lifestyle. I created the game out of necessity. I found that there would be some weeks when there literally was no money left. Those days are mostly behind me because I've discovered the joy of extreme budgeting.

I recently looked back at my credit card statements from 2010. It was infuriating; it made me so mad at myself. I wasted so much money on fast food, DVDs, and other things that I cannot remember. The fact that I can't remember it now means that it wasn't really worth it then. I think that I've grown up a lot in the past year and I can see now that it's time to be an adult. I very rarely eat out when I have food in the cupboards and refrigerator. I make conscious choices when I go to the grocery store, Duane Reade, etc.

It's actually fun now. I'm lucky enough to have to order lunch several times a week for residence conferences. Those days I don't have to buy or pack lunch. There are almost always leftovers so I can take them home for dinner or save them for another lunch. There have been at least two weeks this month that I have been able to spend about $20 a week on groceries. I think most people would feel a sense of shame in being so tight with money. I will admit that there are times when I do feel bad about myself for not being able to spend like others do. But I feel a strong sense of pride that I’m able to learn from my mistakes and create a plan to correct them. It's a great feeling.

Do I want to do this forever? No. I don't think anyone really like to put themselves on a tight budget. But I have hope that once I pay off my credit cards, I will be able to enjoy going out or ordering in. Everything in moderation is fine. As I grow up, I can see the necessity for responsible spending.

No comments:

Post a Comment