Saturday, March 6, 2010

Dr. Olanow / Aspirations

Friday was our Parkinson's Symposium. It was relatively uneventful - the speakers showed up, the food was delivered on time, and everyone enjoyed the various presentations. The only slightly nerve-wracking moment was when I was waiting for the SUVs to show up. I told the company that we need them there at 6:00 and they told me they'd be there about 10 minutes to six just in case. Well the last presentation ended and people started leaving at around 5:45. OMG! Where are the SUVs? Susan's calling me and I start to panic. But then, 3 shiny, black SUVs show up and start parallel parking right in front our 5th avenue entrance.

I rode in the last SUV with my boss, his wife, Dr. Olanow and two of the speakers. We were dropped off at the corner of 5th and 54th street. Everyone looked so bewildered and lost and I got to play line leader. The University Club is only about 10 feet from the intersection (and 100 feet from the Prada flagship store). After a brief, albeit frantic, issue with the tribute presentation, everything ran smoothly. We saw a video montage of pictures of Dr. Olanow set to a Frank Sinatra song. Then Dr. Sealfon asked if anyone wanted to say any words about their experiences with Dr. Olanow.

So many people got up and told stories about his brilliance in research and clinical care. But the moments that really got to me were the stories about his friendship and family. When Dr. Tagliati's wife had passed away, Dr. Olanow called him every day and helped him by keep up with his work. People got emotional recounting their families of his friendship. People got up and talked about his kids and wife. Lastly, Dr. Olanow got up and thanked his wife and children for their support and love. It was so regal and elegant - it reminded me of President Kennedy and high society.

It really got me thinking. I really want what Dr. Olanow has in his life. We threw a formal dinner in a extravagant and classy venue with fifty guests in his honor. He has a loving partner and wonderful, successful children. He is respected for being a brilliant clinician and caring and selfless man.

How will I make my mark? How will I be remembered? Will I ever have a dinner thrown in my honor? Will I ever have colleagues who get emotional when they recount memories of me? Will I have a husband and children whom I love?

No comments:

Post a Comment