Sunday, March 7, 2010

If I Die in a Combat Zone

Wow, three posts in as many days. I've just got so much to write and reflect about lately. I recently finished reading Tim O'Brien's If I Die in a Comabat Zone Box (Box Me Up and Ship Me Home). It was a an engaging book that I had trouble putting down. I actually wanted to read it, unlike A Season in the Life of Emmanuel, which I could not wait to finish.

O'Brien recounts his life as a GI in the Vietnam war, but this is not a typical war novel. It showed his depth and personal growth and stuggle. He was opposed to the war and considered (and actually did for a few hours) fled in an attempt to reach Canada. What do you do when you think killing people over ideology is wrong? Do you do it anyway because it would be considered cowardly not to do so?

He decided to return to the army instead of fleeing while on a weekend pass. He saw friends killed, villagers tortured and harrassed, and all the horrors of war. But he grew and learned from it and became a stronger person.

He has such an adventure and sense of purpose. Maybe I should join the army and fight in Iraq. They'll repeal Don't Ask, Don't Tell soon and then I'd be able to join. I'm sure I'd learn a lot about myself and get stronger. I like my job and life in New York, but it's so vanilla. I respond to emails, send faxes, make copies and then I home and watch The Office or Law and Order: SVU. It's a nice life, but it's not very exciting and I'm not really doing anything that'll affect the big picture. I get down about the littlest things and I think nearly getting blown up and getting shot at would make me appreciative of what I do. Plus, I think I'd look sexy in the uniform ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment