Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Chuck and Blair

I identified with Chuck and Blair. They were the couple that had to work so hard to make things work. They were in love and if they could both just realize it, then everything would be perfect. When they finally began dating, I felt a glimmer of hope. I, naively, believed that the right people would be together and love would conquer all. Once again, reality sets in and I can see the truth. Chuck and Blair broke up last week because Chuck traded Blair to his older cousin to regain his hotel empire. Obviously, trading sexual favors does little to cement a relationship. I yelled at the television for Blair to forgive Chuck and let everything be perfect again. But, that's not what happened. Blair realized that she wasn't happy with Chuck. He didn't make her a better person. He pulled her down and influenced her to be the worst possible version of herself.

That really got me thinking. I can relate with Blair - I overlooked things, I repressed my own unhappiness, and I put on a brave face for the person that I thought I wanted. Sometimes we are so determined to get the one person we want the most that we don't realize that the person isn't the person with whom we're supposed to be. I've done things that I never thought that I would do. I've found myself being elated at other people's pain. I loved Brian so much, but he really brought out the worst in me. Of course that side of me was there before him and it's still there, but I'd never seen it until him.

It's not often that I get a deep, life lesson from Gossip Girl. Usually, it's passionate sex, juicy scandals and jaw-dropping drama. But tonight was different. It helped me see that sometimes fighting for a relationship just to fight for it doesn't make any sense. Sometimes the thing that we start out wanting so badly isn't the thing we really want.

No comments:

Post a Comment