Sunday, April 18, 2010

Twenty Three

I've never been a fan of my birthday. As much as I joke around, I hate being the center of attention. For my last two birthdays, I've been so hung up on my relationship that I didn't really enjoy my birthday. But this year was a fresh start. I had a great birthday!

I took a half day off from work. Mom and Renee called at 7:00, but I was already up and eating breakfast. They're really great. I really do have an amazing family. I trained with Jimmy at 8:00, which was great as usual. I went home for my second breakfast and popped in Madonna's Sticky and Sweet Tour DVD. I blasted the music and danced around the dining room.

I got to work to find presents and cards at my desk. Susan got me a nice card and Katherine got me a new, bigger (to fit my new muscles) polo and a nice card with a hand-written rhyming poem. They bought a cake - I could tell something was up. Then everyone gathered in the conference, which was uber awkward. Swann, Susan, and Katherine were all hugs and happy and genuine. Sealfon and Carol just kinda stood there and neither of them said happy birthday, which is kinda standard. I found out later that Carol was saying that she didn't know why she was there because no one is nice to her in the department.

Finally, the day ended and Katherine and I headed downtown. We had to take a letter train (oh, the horror). We went to Friday's in Time Square for dinner before heading to the theatre at 7:30 to see Promises, Promises. We had great mezzanine seats and they were on the aisle, which is my favorite.

The show was amazing! I was so nervous that an understudy was going to replace one of the stars - Sean Hayes (Will and Grace) and Kristen Chenoweth (Wicked, Glee, The West Wing). But, they were both there. The show is the story of a young employee in a big company (like me) who has an apartment that he lends out to the executives so they can cheat on their wives. He is in love with Kristen Chenoweth who works in the dining room at the company. We later learn that she is in love with one of the married executives with whom she's having an affair (like me...in the past). She is in Chuck's (Sean Hayes) apt after the executive leaves to be with his family (ugh...douche) and she tries to kill herself by taking pills. Chuck finds her, saves her, and they fall in love in the end. Perfect ending! Kristen Chenoweth is a Broadway legend! Her singing and acting was superb. Sean Hayes really surprised me with his voice. His comedy, as expected, was hilarious. It was funny and sad and amazing!

Good workout, dancing around to Madonna, party at work, dinner and a show with a great friend! I had a dozens of people post on my wall - it's nice to not be forgotten even though I'm not at Radford anymore. Some of my best friends (Spencer, Erin, Lora, Skeens) texted me. Erin even baked me an apple pie! It doesn't get better than that!

1 comment:

  1. It sounds like you had a wonderful birthday, Rob! It looks like things are going really well for you. I know the feeling, I don't like to make a big deal out of my birthday either. :)

    ReplyDelete