Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Convent

I really regret that I've only begun watching Oprah this season. I've seen several episodes and she really has a way of evoking such intense emotions. Some of the shows were disturbing and depressing, some were hilarious (watching the gays go crazy on Favorite Things was truly amazing) and some are truly thought provoking. Today's episode was a fascinating look into two unusual wedding ceremonies. The first was some crazy lady who married a murderer in prison and we won't even get into that one. One look at her multi-fabric, colorful wedding skirt was enough to convince me she wasn't all there.

It was the second story that really got me thinking. Oprah's cameras followed a group of young women who were beginning the journey to become nuns. At first I thought that they were just girls who couldn't get dates and needed a safe alternative to watching Lifetime and eating lots of cake. The more I watch, though, I began to realize the real wisdom, strength and sacrifice in their decision. They had to give up all their worldly possessions, say goodbye to their families and engage in a rigorous new lifestyle. Not talking to my parents regularly would be hard, but giving up Facebook and my iPhone would be impossible. Why would someone make this choice?

Of course, they are strong Catholics who believe in Jesus. That part didn't really speak to me, but it was the sense of peace and calm that really resonated. Oprah asked one of the sisters if she missed all the technology of the modern world. She said that she felt freer without it. She said that her laptop was her biggest ball and chain. Another sister said that she was sitting in front of her entertainment sister (before she became a nun) and realized that if she lost it all the next day, it would matter. She said that becoming a nun and "marrying" Jesus would be eternal. One sister said that if you don't believe in a power greater than yourself, how could you achieve anything greater than yourself. Wow! That's so powerful and it makes total sense to me. These girls, most younger than me, have such wisdom and poise.

Now, don't get it twisted! I'm not thinking of becoming a nun. That'd be crazy, but I am a little envious of their simple lifestyle. It's much more than a lack of technology. There is no pressure to have the perfect body, hair, and skin - pretty much the exact opposite of the gay community. There is no worrying about paying for cable, internet and gym memberships. For all that they give up; it looks like they get so much more in return. It's an interesting view on life and I'd like to see if there is a way to incorporate some of these ideals into my overly connected, hectic, modern, American life.

No comments:

Post a Comment