Saturday, November 27, 2010

Laundry Lady

I was talking to Antonio yesterday about gratitude. He said that Oprah had once told people they should keep a gratitude journal. Each day you write down something or multiple things for which you are grateful. It doesn't need to be something big or important; it can be something as simple as having someone holding the elevator for you. Eventually, you will begin to notice the positive more and the negative less. If this lesson would be helpful to anyone, it would be New Yorkers. I'm going to give it a shot. The only thing I have to lose is negativity.

I dropped off my laundry yesterday. I have my laundry done roughly two to three times a month. There is an old, Chinese couple with a tiny, little shop next to my building. Each time it's simply a pleasure. The woman is always unbelievably friendly! Come to think of it, I really should asked, "Nǐ jiào shénme míngzi?" It doesn't matter what kind of mood I am in when I see her, she always puts a smile on my face. I actually enjoy the little conversation that we have for those few minutes I'm in their storefront.

I went in there today to pick my clothes up and was really surprised how cheap it was. $16.80 for about 2 1/2 weeks worth of laundry is a bargain. I gave her a $20.00 and as she gave me my change she said, "Three dollars. Enough for coffee, but not tonight. You won't sleep." Picture her saying this with the most adorable, 60-year-old Chinese accent.

I only see her for a few minutes a couple of times a month, but it always warms my heart. Seeing her today is something for which I am grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment