Tuesday, November 9, 2010

My First Icon

My divas tend to rotate through my iPod. For a while I was really into Christina and her new album. Next up was Judy and her soundtrack to "I Could Go on Singing". I am anticipating Rihanna's new album, though I doubt it'll be as deep as her last. There's one diva that I've loved for years and who I keep revisiting over and over again. And guess what? It's not Madonna! Before I knew the Queen of Pop, I was obsessed with the Queen of Country, Reba McEntire.

I remember listening to Reba at a very young age. I have all her albums after 1991 and even have two VHS concerts. I saw her in concert in 1996 / 1997 and remember it being a spectacle. Her band entered the stage in taxis and then the stage opened up and she came out in a private jet. Fabulous! I can see why I love her so much! But more than her persona, her voice and choice of songs attract me. She sings such emotional songs that really touch my heart. She is one of the very few artists that can make me cry.

And the more that I think about, I see how much I can relate to her songs:

My Parent's Divorce
• And Still
• Starting Over Again
• Somebody Should Leave
Past relationships
• Does He Love You (feat. Linda Davis)
• You Keep Me Hangin' On
• I Won't Stand In Line
My Mom
• Secret
• What Do You Say
• I'll Be
• You're Gonna Be
• Is There Life Out There
Antonio
• Til I Said It To You
• Somebody's Chelsea
• I Keep On Lovin' You
• Read My Mind
Losing my grandparents
• All Dressed Up (With Nowhere to Go)
Struggles / Death
• She Thinks His Name Was John
• Fancy
• Invisible
• Nickel Dreams
• Walk On
• He Gets that From Me

Her new album, All The Women I Am, is a perfect collection of songs! She has the tender ballads about love, songs about rolling up your sleeves and getting it done, songs I feel like my mom could relate too. She continues to prove that there is real talent and emotion in a musical world filled to the brim with young girls who get by on sex and autotune. I'm excited to be re-discovering my first musical love. And I love that I still know all the words to all the songs after all the years.

Plus, she's gorgeous!! I love my spitfires with red hair.

1 comment:

  1. Wonderful post! I am not really big into music and don't really listen to country music, but I *LOVE* Reba. Her music simply touches me, as she touches you and so many others. I'm loving her new album and hope to see her a lot now promoting it. CMA Awards tonight - Reba is performing (rumor has it it's If I Were a Boy). Also, Kelly Clarkson will be singing a duet with Jason Aldean and Gwyneth Paltrow will be singing the title song from her movie "Country Strong" that comes out next month (I think).

    ReplyDelete