Monday, November 8, 2010

New Teen

I know that everyone says that time flies. I never realized how true that really is until today. As hard as it is to believe, Renee turned 13 today. I still remember being called out of school when my mom went into labor, rushing to the hospital and then hiding in the bathroom. Kasey, Michele and I went down to Pennsylvania to celebrate with the family since 13 is such a milestone age.

Michele and I took Renee to the mall so she could pick out an outfit. And by pick out, I mean choose and then have Michele pay for. To say it was an interesting experience would be an understatement. I've written many times on childhood and how kids grow up too quickly today. That was reconfirmed several times today during a relatively brief shopping excursion.

One of our first stops was Abercrombie and Fitch. I've matured past that store. I'm over the phase where I am willing (and able) to pay $30 for a cheap t-shirt. They are trying to sell a lifestyle and I'm not buying it. But I remember the age when being cool was essential (Hmm...maybe I can still relate). I was shocked as we walked through the store. There were tags on the winter jackets with topless women with men blocking their breasts with their arms. Call me crazy, but I think showing models wearing the clothes helps sell the clothes. Then there was a table display with a topless girl standing in front of a clearly naked guy. I guess I'm an old man, but I felt this was something Renee should see. Oh well, Renee got her $30 t-shirt that was probably made by another 13-year-old girl in an Indian sweatshop.

Then she wanted Starbucks. Really? A 13-year-old that drinks coffee? Next was Hot Topic. It was traumatic. Not only was the music horribly obnoxious, but the cashier was flirting with Renee. Renee then told me that her favorite perfume comes from Victoria's Secret. I pretty much threw up my hands at this point. 13 for me consisted of video games and hanging out with my dad.

The only glimmer of hope is that Renee is very smart. She's bright and I hope she knows that there is so much more to look forward to after middle and high school. I know that it's common for people to get trapped in our area. It's a great little collection of towns, but I hope she makes it out. I want her to do great things like Michele and I have done. I've realized that she's pretty much all grown up. If she turns out to be half as much of a bitch as I am, I think she'll be just fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment