Thursday, November 4, 2010

Used By Nicki?

I feel like I was one of the few people that liked Nicki Minaj before she was mainstream. I have several of the tracks from her various mixtapes - way before she was on MTV or the radio. I thought she was funny, sassy and creative. I could listen to her over and over again. I was uber excited when I found out that she was working on her first studio album.

A few songs from the album have come out and I am underwhelmed. More so, I feel like she's been pandering to her gay audience. The first few songs were okay, but nothing compared to Go Hard or I Feel Free. Roman's Revenge was released on Tuesday and I had high hopes, despite seeing that the track featured Eminem.

I was shocked that she let him use the word "faggot" in one of his verses. Nicki had the cover and full spread in Out magazine. She was supposed to be the rapper who bridged the gap between the rap and gay communities. Now I feel like she used us to gain popularity. It's no secret that the gays are really the power players. If we like you, you're in. Madonna, Cher, Britney, Gaga, Kylie, Christina, Judy - all have huge gay followings and have taken over the world.

I think Nicki pandered to the gay community and turned her back on us when it came time to record her album. How can she be on the cover of a prominent gay magazine and then allow such derogatory, hate speech on her album? I will not pre-order the album. I'll give the 30-second previews a chance, but I am definitely not the hardcore fan that I used to be.

Thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment