Monday, June 15, 2009

Crazy Pet People / Mr. Radar

I was watching Taboo on the National Geographic channel. It was so shocking how these people interacted with their pets. One lady would dress up a monkey. One family had over 40 snakes. I tend to believe that people should be able to do as they please. I try to respect the choices that people make in their lives.


However, I also believe that while people have the right to make certain life choices, they also have to make those choices responsibility and own the consequences. The woman who had the pet monkey also had a 3-year-old son. The woman admitted the animal was dangerous and could eventually attack her or her son. How can a woman put a pet above the health and safety of her own child?


The other family had over 40 snakes and 5 children. The father said they were responsible and locked up the snakes to avoid the children being suffocated or crushed to death in their sleep. Is it really a wise decision to have such dangerous animals and small children? How can a parent not do everything possible to ensure the safety of their children?


But, then I also started to think about the less extreme cases. What responsibility does a pet owner have to the pet? Is it responsible to get a pet when there is a possibility that the animal will be neglected? Is it responsible to have two cats locked in one 10 x 10 room? I think when someone gets a pet, they need to realize that it isn't some cute accessory. It's not something you can get and then ignore or neglect when the novelty wears off.


I hate that college students, who have no idea what they will be or what they will be doing after graduation, get pets. Because, it's clear that the student will choose a career or an apartment or a person over their pet. That's why the Humane Society had to post flyers all over Radford for students to drop off their pets, rather than let them run the streets at strays.


I love Mr. Radar. I worry about him. He doesn't have any of his shots. He never gets check-ups at the vet. His litter box should be cleaned everyday, not once a week (at best). He needs someone who can pay attention to him, not someone who works all night and sleeps all day and ignores him. He needs someone who is responsible enough to be a parent.


Am I that person? No. There's a chance I'll be moving to a studio apartment in NYC or my sister's house in NJ. The next few months are going to be crazy and unpredictable. However, when given the two options, I know that I would take better care of him.


It's so infuriating. If you wanna screw up your own life, that's cool. But, don't be irresponsible and get a pet and then not give them the care, attention, and life they deserve.




1 comment: