Sunday, June 21, 2009

Decisions, Decisions

Well, I've got some big decisions to make. I got the job at Mount Sinai in Manhattan. It's a great position with great benefits and growth potential. The pay, however, is not as great as I was hoping, but I think I can make it work. The city was beautiful. The hospital is across the street from Central Park. I am already envisioning lunch breaks in the park. It reminds me a lot of Beijing where there is always something to do and see and experience. I want to sit and take it all in.


The big question is where am I going to live? It's entirely possible to find an apartment with one or two other roommates and still have money to save. But, most people require the first month's rent and a month's rent as a security deposit. I'm hoping to spend about $800 a month, but that would mean I need $1,600 to start. Sadly, my checking account is not even close.


My sister has said that I can live with her in Princeton until I get on my feet. That offer is starting to look better and better. However, it has drawbacks. It's about an hour train ride into New York and then another 30 minutes by cab to Midtown. That's a 3-hour commute each day. Also, that means I would have to get my massive oil leak in my car fixed so I could drive to the train station each day. I'd also have to pay for car insurance, which is an expenditure I wouldn't have in New York. Oh, I could sell my car. That idea just popped into my head. Hmm...probably wouldn't get much for it.


Of course, I don't really see any other way around it. I could get one of those cash advances on my credit card, but I know the interest is ridiculous. There is always the possibility that I could explain my situation and provide proof that I've got a good job and will be getting a stable paycheck. Maybe they'd let me pay just one month and pay the rest when I got it. Doubtful though. There is the possibility that I could make a lot of money in Radford by working and selling some furniture.


It's funny. I thought once I had a job offer that all my problems would be solved. On the contrary, it seems like now I have a million more questions than I did before. Will I be able to feel at home in NYC? Will I make enough to pay my rent and student loan payments? Will I find roommates that are nice? Will they make crystal meth in the bathroom? Will they like me? Will I fit in? Will I get taken advantage of there? Am I tough enough? Will I like it? Will I succeed?


I guess there is only one way to find out.


No comments:

Post a Comment