Thursday, June 18, 2009

First Job Interview

I thought of several catchy titles for this blog, but decided on something simple because I don't want to make this out to be more than it is. It's my first, post-college job interview. The fact that it's in Manhattan conjures up visions of Cosmos with Carrie, Samantha, Charlotte and Miranda. It's a very attractive, but that is about ten steps ahead of where I am right now.

Right now, I'm in my sister and brother-in-law's fabulous New Jersey townhouse. I know what you're thinking. Fabulous and New Jersey don't fit in the same sentence, but it's really nice. It's on 10:45 so I'm still wide awake. I should be trying to sleep so I'll look refreshed and ready to go in the morning, but I'm just too anxious. It's a combination of excitement (since it's my first trip to NYC) and nervousness (since it's my first job interview and I really, really want it).

I just have to be myself and show them that I'll work hard, that I'm smart and that I would be an asset to their department and an asset as Dr. Sealfon's Executive Assistant. I know that I would do a great job at Mount Sinai. I just need to convey that to them. I think I'm pretty charismatic - parents on tours, at Quest, and at B&N seem to remember and like me.

I know that I need to take this for what it is. It's a great opportunity simply to be invited to interview. I can't start thinking about apartments, subway lines and jogging in Central Park because it'll just make the disappointment so much worse if things don't work out.

Also, I think it's a really good growing experience. I'm going to be driving to the train station, buying a ticket, getting to NYC, and then finding my way to Madison Avenue & 101 Street. I've gotten a lot of pointers, but I'll be doing this all by myself. I feel like a big kid now.

Wow...there are so many thoughts running through my head, but I guess I'd be just step away from the computer, get some sleep, and prepare for tomorrow. It's gonna be a crazy, scary, exciting and fabulous day!

Wish me luck :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment