Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Why New York is Better than Radford

I think I've discovered why I like New York so much more than Radford. Now don't get me wrong, I still like Radford. It was a great place to go to college. It was a wonderful place for growth and self-discovery. I think I can take my experiences in Radford and use them.

But, everyday in Radford is the same. When my roommates would ask me how my day was, I would usually say that it was okay. I would wake up, go to work, go to class, come home, hang out and then go to bed. Everyday was the same. Sure, there were some interesting days - like when the deer broke into New Student Programs, when Debbie found a mouse under her desk, and when one of the tour guides went crazy and stabbed a girl. The sites, sounds, and people of Radford are all the same. After 4 years it became mundane.

New York is never mundane. I went into the city to complete my drug test. I got to Penn Station and decided to walk to the lab. Did I know exactly how to get there? Of course not. But, I'm smart and I figured it out. I walked from 34th and 8th Ave to 23rd between 5th and 6th Avenue. I walked through Chelsea, which has a strong gay pride feeling. I saw many restaurants and shops with flags. It was nice, even though I was wearing khakis and my stupid clogs. Ugh, I really need to redo my wardrobe.

Anyway, the neighborhood was interesting and new. Chelsea is completely different from the Upper East Side (where I'm going to be working). Each neighborhood has its own unique flavor. When I finally found the lab I had ended up having to wait two hours to be seen. Yes, I had to wait two hours to pee in a cup, which took me about 30 seconds. The place was packed with people and I think I was one of very few people who was not there to get tested as a condition of their parole.

It was an errand, but it was fun. Walking down the street is fun. It's new and exciting. I knew that even if I were to go back to the same streets tomorrow, they will have changed. The people will be different. Everything will be different. While Radford is static, New York is dynamic.

Everyday is something new...and I like it.

1 comment:

  1. You should invest in some great games on your phone for occasions such as these. I'm a big fan on electronic Hangman.

    ReplyDelete