Saturday, June 6, 2009

Validation...

This may come as a shock to some. When I was a kid, I was not very athletic. I'll give you a moment to let that sink in. However, that's changed...kinda. I started running about 4 months ago and I love it. I've done several races (mostly 5Ks, but also one 10K in Roanoke) and had a lot of fun. I ran to finish, not to win. Simply finishing is an accomplishment in itself. However, I think we all know that that is just the attitude of someone who has never won. I ran in the New River Trail 5K in Pulaski this morning. My friend, Michael Richardson, and I ran it together. He, of course, kicked ass in it. I knew that he ran a lot more often and further than I did, so I didn't expect to finish before him. I really just wanted to see how I did because I felt like I did a lot better than I did at the Auburn Elementary 5K a few weeks earlier. We had to sit through the awards before we could get our times. Michael ended up winning 1st in our age group (21-25). Shockingly, I came in 2nd for our age group. The guy reading the names messed up mine by calling Michael Godby. I was confused so I didn't wanna run up and get the ribbon only to have it be a mistake. After he was done announcing the awards, I went up and asked him about the confusion. Sure enough, I was 2nd with a time of 23:51. I was shocked! This was a real race and it actually did really well. Unlike 5th grade gym class where I always got stuck with yellow ribbon (for participation - aka the ribbon for losers), this was a real ribbon for actually accomplishing something. I felt really proud of myself :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment