Wednesday, June 24, 2009

The Start

Things have finally fallen into place. I've got a great job, a great (albeit temporary) place to live and a bright and exciting future. I got the job in New York and was even able to negotiate an additional $3,000 to my salary. That extra money is going to be a huge help. I'm so excited that I'm going to finally start being on my own as much as I can.

Temporarily, I'll be living with my sister and her husband. I'm hoping to stay about a month or two - just enough to save a little money, get used to my job, and really take my time with finding an apartment. It would be too stressful and financially impossible to do all that now. I figure that I won't be home much since I'll have about an hour and a half commute each way. Living in New Jersey and burdening them isn't something I want to do, but sometimes the most mature thing to do is to be humble and accept help when people offer it.

By speaking with Dr. Sealfon and the rest of the office staff, I know that I can do this job. Still, that doesn't do anything to alleviate my fears. This happens with every job. When I started at Country Gardens I was terrified, but was an expert when I left. I was nervous when I started at the bookstore and now I am confident that there is no situation I can't handle. I'm sure this job will be similar. I'll be terrified when I start, but slowly it'll get easier and more comfortable.

Before I can begin the next chapter in my life, I've got to close the chapter at RU. It's really weird to be packing and cleaning the apartment. I did it last year, but I knew that I was just moving to a different floor. Now, I'm moving 600 miles away. The rooms in my apartment are starting to develop that eerie feeling that comes from moving out. Sounds echo because the rooms are becoming empty.

I know this is the start of something big. You can only grow so much in one place. By moving to NJ and, ultimately, to NYC, I will be tested. I'll be out of comfort zone, but I think I'll grow as a professional and person because of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment