Sunday, February 7, 2010

12 Going On 23

I've been noticing a lot of odd similarities between myself and my little sister. We both like Britney Spears and Miley Cyrus, both have cell phones, both like shopping, and both can be total divas. Now, I'm sure she learned some of her traits and musical tastes from me. But, I think there's a lot more to it than that. She's only 12, but to me it seems like she's going on 23.

I think it's a real shame that kids have to grow up in times like these. I had a childhood. I would play with the neighborhood kids and read and have hours of fun with legos and action figures. Now, it's all about cable, texting, gossiping and shopping. Times change and the childhood I had is much different from the kind of childhood that my dad had. But, I think there are some serious problems with the childhood my sister has.

The Disney channel seems more like MTV. Miley Cyrus wears short shorts and tight shirts. The internet is filled with predators and perverts. Playing outside is a foreign concept. Reading is for magazines and Cosmo quizzes. Respecting and obeying parents is replaced with attitude and rolling eyes.

I see magazines, TV shows, billboards and feel the pressure to be beautiful and sexy. The sad thing is that my little sister sees the exact things. I have trouble dealing with the pressure. How can a little girl handle it? How is a child supposed to be a child when they are bombarded with advertisements and content that is intended for adults?

I want to have kids some day, but it really scares me. How my parents didn't worry about me getting kidnapped or shot in homeroom or becoming a drug addict or getting a girl pregnant at the prom (well, maybe not that one) is beyond me. They probably did, but they did a pretty job raising me so I guess they weren't too worried.

I don't see why kids are in such a big hurry to be adults. I don't see how innocence and childhood have become things of the past. I never really felt the need to be a protective big brother before as much as I do now.

No comments:

Post a Comment